A successful pairing of fresh tomatoes and pomegranate seeds is something I have only come across recently, when visiting turkey. This salad is so crunchy and sweet you can eat it with a spoon, and never stop. Try it with: Mano-a-Mano-Domaine-du-Matin-Calme -10. Soft fruity and silky. Medium bodied, good fruit and spice and fresh acidity all work well with the sweet-ish flavours and garlic dressing.
In a large bowl, mix together the tomatoes, red pepper and onion and set aside.
In a small bowl whisk the garlic, allspice, vinegar, pomegranate molasses, olive oil, and 1/3rd teaspoon of salt, until well combined. Pour this over the tomatoes and gently mix.
Arrange the tomatoes and the juices on a large flat plate. Sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds and oregano and finish with a drizzle of olive oil.
- 200g red cherry tomatoes, cut into ½cm dice
- 200g yellow cherry tomatoes, cut into ½cm dice
- 200g tiger (or plum) tomatoes, cut into ½cm dice
- 4 medium vine tomatoes, cut into ½cm dice (500g net)
- 1 red pepper, cut into ½ cm dice (120g net)
- 1 small red onion, finely diced (120g net)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1½ tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 60ml olive oil, plus a little extra to drizzle at the end
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed (170g of seeds)
- 1 tbsp picked small oregano leaves, to garnish
- Salt and black pepper