We make infinite kinds of rice salads at Ottolenghi, mixing different varieties of rice and many combinations of herbs and vegetables. The secret is getting in enough oil and juices so the rice isn’t dry at all.
Place the rice in a large pot and cover with water, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and cook for 30-40 minutes, depending on the variety, or until the rice is cooked aldente. Drain and rinse under cold water.
While the rice is cooking, roast the pistachio in a dry pan over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes. Coarsely chop them with a large knife. Drain the apricot and coarsely chop them too.
In a bowl mix the rice, apricots and pistachios. Add the rest of the ingredients, toss well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 250g wild rice
- 60g peeled pistachio
- 150g soft dried apricot, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes
- 1 small bunch of mint, leaves picked
- 1 small bunch of rocket
- 3 spring onions, roughly chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large clove of garlic, crushed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper