Mushroom and herb polentaPrint Recipe
4 tbsp olive oil
350g mixed mushrooms, very large ones halved
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
1 tablespoon chopped thyme
1 tablespoon truffle oil
500ml vegetable stock
80g polenta (instant or traditional)
80g Parmesan, grated
1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped chervil
100g Taleggio (rind removed), cut into 1cm slices
salt and black pepper
Heat up half the olive oil in a large frying pan. Once hot, add half of the mushrooms and fry for a few minutes, or until just cooked; try not to move them much so you get golden-brown patches on their surface. Remove from the pan, and repeat with the rest of the mushrooms and oil. Off the heat, return all the mushrooms to the pan and add the garlic, tarragon, thyme, truffle oil and some salt and pepper. Keep warm.
Bring the stock to the boil in a saucepan. Slowly stir in the polenta, then reduce the heat to the minimum and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. The polenta is ready when it leaves the sides of the pan but is still runny. If you are using instant polenta this shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes; with traditional polenta it could take up to 50 minutes (if it seems to dry out, add some more stock or water but just enough to keep it at a thick porridge consistency).
Preheat the grill to high. When the polenta is ready, stir in the Parmesan, butter, rosemary and half the chervil. Season with salt and pepper. Spread the polenta over a heatproof dish and top with the Taleggio. Place under the grill until the cheese bubbles. Remove, top with the mushrooms and their juices, and return to the grill for a minute to warm up. Serve hot, garnished with the remaining chervil.
- Recipes Yum Caroline (19/07/2016) I made this for friends and everyone LOVED it. The key was getting good Taleggio Cheese. I went to my local cheese shop and they had an older piece that was fragrant and wonderful - added to the flavor, that and good salt.
- Recipes Cheesey mushroomy goodness Melanie (17/08/2015) Loved this! So decadent! The second time I made this I made 1.5 x the polenta to dilute the richness of the topping. Somehow it made me feel like it was healthier although that is definitely not true. Anyway, it is so great just the way it is.
- Recipes Absolutely delicious ! Laetitia (08/07/2015) This was a very easy recipe and it was a total success at home. The creamy consistency, the earthy flavours, served with a fresh salad, it was absolutely delicious.
- Recipes Easy & tasty Carmen (20/10/2014) The mushroom & herb polenta was easy to make and very tasty. As I felt it needed a little sauce and fruitiness, I served it with a tomato sauce (olive oil, garlic, onion, Italian herbs, tomatoes). Delicious.
- Recipes good for light dinner Katalin (18/02/2014) It was fun to make and it tasted very nice with the cheese and mushroom complementing each other.